The first Pride March took place in 1969 in response to police violence and the raiding of the Stonewall Inn, a gay bar catering to marginalized members of the queer community. Since then Pride has evolved in such a way that the most marginalized queer and trans* folks are excluded. Queers for Economic Justice is looking to make NYC Pride accessible to poor and working class LGBTQ+ folks, and we need your help!
"I never really felt invited to the Gay Pride March, you know. I mean, I’m queer and I live in a homeless shelter. So every June, it felt like it was a Pride March for somebody else. Until I joined Queers for Economic Justice (QEJ) and marched in their LGBTQ homeless, low-income, and labor contingent. Then I had a place that was mine. I finally got my invitation."
- Juliet, Third Street Women’s Shelter
Pride should be inclusive of our entire community, and this means supporting folks so that they can even make it to the march. Your donations will help us offer 120 NYC shelter residents the opportunity to claim their place in this movement. The contributions of poor queers have always been integral in advancing LGBTQ+ rights, and it’s time to stop excluding them.
ABOUT QUEERS FOR ECONOMIC JUSTICE
QEJ is a progressive non-profit organization committed to promoting economic justice in a context of sexual and gender liberation. Founded in 2002, we have grown to be a trusted resource and advocate for poor queers in New York City. Our goal is to challenge and change the systems that create poverty and economic injustice in our communities, and to promote an economic system that embraces sexual and gender diversity.
We are committed to the principle that access to social and economic resources is a fundamental right, and we work to create social and economic equity through grassroots organizing, public education, advocacy and research.
We do this work because although poor queers have always been a part of both the gay rights and economic justice movements, they have been, and continue to be, largely invisible in the economic justice and LGBTQ+ movements. This work will always be informed by the lived experiences and expressed needs of queer people in poverty.
WHAT WE NEED & WHAT YOU GET
We are hoping to raise enough money to facilitate 120 LGBTQ+ shelter residents’ participation in the upcoming NYC Pride march.
When you donate, (depending on how much) you’ll receive a sticker, poster, keychain, or t-shirt branded with the Queers for Economic Justice name and logo as a token of our gratitude.
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN HELP
We recognize that not everyone is able to donate money. If you want to help out but can’t chip in dollars, you can:
- Pass on this link! Seriously, share it far & wide on every site you can.
- Like us on Facebook to stay up to date with all of our campaigns & events.
- Volunteer! This is something you can do any time of year! We especially need help with prep the days leading up to NYC Pride (the last few days of June) as well as the big day itself! Email firstname.lastname@example.org call us at 212.564.3608 for more information.
- QEJ also take donations at all times on our website, if you want to contribute money in the future.
- SIGNAL BOOST THIS POST
- unevenlygrown reblogged this from unevenlygrown and added:
- dickensianwerewolf likes this
- xmorax likes this
- andtheworldgoesroundfornow reblogged this from unevenlygrown
- unconforming reblogged this from -osito
- ladyravenia reblogged this from usunoro
- ladyravenia likes this
- xoxovintagelovexoxo likes this
- kittenavalentine likes this
- mountainxgoat likes this
- pomegranatesblood likes this
- soulsuckingisaacnewton reblogged this from retrofires
- at-hummingbird-speed reblogged this from kalemason
- caressedorcrushed reblogged this from kalemason
- zebra4lemur reblogged this from imfromdriftwood
- zebra4lemur likes this
- imfromdriftwood reblogged this from kalemason
- kalemason reblogged this from something-ugly
- moonlust-and-salt likes this
- princepsfemina likes this
- spockfart reblogged this from magicalgurl-in-training
- comrade-zapata reblogged this from hustlingfortime
- retrofires reblogged this from queerandbrown
- martianwritings likes this
- martianwritings reblogged this from gelopanda
- trentqueercollective reblogged this from queerandbrown
- amzuki reblogged this from something-ugly
- chronohodophobe likes this
- something-ugly reblogged this from hustlingfortime and added:
- hustlingfortime reblogged this from -osito
- queerandbrown reblogged this from -osito
- princessedeslaumes likes this
- awsome-t likes this
- eastofathenassoul likes this
- cordialpotions reblogged this from eljotitodeperris
- manybodies likes this
- princessotto likes this
- gelopanda reblogged this from eljotitodeperris
- mer-mage reblogged this from -osito
- kcdanger likes this
- fuckyealiz likes this
- gardeniasandgoldchains reblogged this from texmexqwoc
- nerdattemptshipster reblogged this from gravitys-rimbaud
- texmexqwoc reblogged this from eljotitodeperris and added:
- dickensianwerewolf reblogged this from vulpinidacquoise
- vulpinidacquoise reblogged this from -osito
- gravitys-rimbaud reblogged this from magicalgurl-in-training
- eljotitodeperris reblogged this from magicalgurl-in-training and added:
- tranqualizer likes this